Wednesday 2 April 2014

My Images of SEE – 19:09, Wed 10th August

After waking up this morning, me and Liam went over to the train station. It was my understanding that we had to reserve seats. Upon arrival, I asked the lone worker if she spoke English. ‘A little’. Great. So I asked her if I have to reserve a seat to Nis. She said no. I then asked her what time the train was tomorrow evening. She replied with 9 o’clock. I thanked her then left. We noticed a left luggage room too, so we can use it tomorrow. Walking back to the hotel, to drop off the train tickets I took with me, I began to question her train time. So back at the hotel I checked. Indeed there was a train, but at 09:00! The evening train was at 20:45. Tomorrow a.m. I will ask again.


We then walked into town, to the square, then up to the Old Railway Station, now a museum, and went to the Ramstore. `Liam exchanged money, and we had a frappe each. Cold coffee is lovely. We then continued along this road, turning right at the European Union building. We then hit pedestrian roadworks, and with Liam wearing flip-flops, we danced around the road. We then turned right again and back to the square. We decided to cross the river over the (thrice?) re-build Roman bridge. Looking back at the square just reaffirmed my dislike of all the monuments being erected. 


We walked past an old Orthodox church on our left, and the Daut Pasha – the former bathhouses. We then walked up a hill, and this felt like a proper Ottoman experience. Low buildings, 2 storey’s, but lower than anything back home. The vendors putting their wares on display. The street, or lane, was cobbled, and it was a mixture of shops and café’s. Very quaint. We kept walking up until it became quiet. So we turned around, saw the sign for the Kale Fortress and wound round another lane to the right, before reaching the buttress of one of the towers. 


We followed a wall along to some steps and climbed them to an open park, with the walls stretching from left to right about 200 yards away. We walked up to a gate, then along the wall to the entrance. However, a man in a hut at the entrance squeezed the one word of English he knew. Closed. So we made out way past the Mustapha Pasha, down a straight road to steps that led to a ‘bridge’ over the bypass. It began to rain then. 


So we hurried, poor Liam in his flip-flops, to the Soviet shopping mall. After 20 minutes of wandering around, we located a café and ordered soft drinks. It was only 11:00. We left after 40 minutes, trying for a while to catch the waitress’s attention to pay. I was feeling exhausted with this stomach bug, so we went back to the hostel. I must have slept for 3 hours but intermittently woke up. I decided to eat the pretzels we bought at the Ramstore earlier to try and quell it.

After much cajoling by Liam, we left our hole to go to the Velo Centre, near the train station. Similar to the Ramstore, it had a supermarket, a food court and shops. I decided I needed salt, so we got some fries from McDonalds (Only 2 countries visited, and 2 McDonald’s to match). We then walked along the river, past the Irish pub in the shopping centre and the various bars and restaurants located between the Soviet-era construction and the river.

As I bought postcards, I wanted to cut across ‘Makedonija’ to the post office, but got cut short. So we went to a café call Trend. Funnily enough, it was where my colleague from my former employment and I had dinner 2 ½ years ago. We lazed there for an hour before heading back to the hostel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment